A research study confirms prescription medicines obtained by CIPA members are 100 percent original, safe, and more affordable. The study included data collected from multiple pharmacies recognized by certified organizations and agencies providing essential information to consumers to assist in making informed decisions when ordering prescription medicines online.
What was collected and analyzed during the study?
The study was conducted by the National Bureau of Economic Research. The Bureau examined over 300 samples provided by pharmacies offering lifestyle and maintenance medications. Such pharmacies fell into the following 3 categories:
- Pharmacies based in the United States (US) with certification from the National Association of Pharmacy (NABP).
- Pharmacies based in Canada offering online prescription medication options (online Canadian pharmacies) with certification from Canadian International Pharmacy Association (CIPA) or pharmacychecker.com.
- Pharmacy options with no certifications from associations mentioned above.
As part of the study researchers collected name-brand drug samples from multiple online pharmacies of different types. There were almost 40 samples researchers could not test because they did not match product descriptions detailed upon placing the order. Additional details such as cost, background information about the online pharmacy and quality of drugs in question were also analyzed.
Final Results Show Safer Options More Likely Found through CIPA Approved Pharmacies
The findings highlight significant information consumers need to understand to ensure safe purchasing. End results show CIPA approved pharmacies or online pharmacies with certifications from reputable agencies provide clear detailed information for their online consumers. They also give better options to help customers save allowing them to get more value with their purchase. Online Canadian pharmacies held true for all claims.
There were 3 significant findings that stood out the most in helping to reach this conclusion:
- U.S. and Canadian prescription medicine safety comparisons showed little differences.
- U.S. prices for prescription drugs were over 50% higher compared to other drug purchase options including CIPA approved Canadian pharmacies and foreign pharmacies.
- Online Canadian pharmacies are almost 50% cheaper on average than United States pharmacies.
The research was carried out by Roger Bate, Ph.D and Aparna Mathur, Ph.D from the American Enterprise Institute and Ginger Zhe Jin, Ph.D from the University of Maryland Department of Economics.